Here I go... pickin' on potatoes again. Sorry. (Not really, though.) Honestly, I wish with all of my heart that potatoes were more nutritious. They are SO DELICIOUS! But until I get to heaven where I choose to believe carbs will be good for me, I'll keep trying to replace them wherever I can.
And THIS is another recipe that makes me not mind so much. It is YUMMY! And easy. And if you're looking for ways to ease off the more carb-y side dishes in your life, this is a really good place to start.
1 head cauliflower
2 potatoes (any kind will work, but Yukon Gold is my favorite)
1/2 cup buttermilk (or milk with a splash of lemon juice in it will do)
1/2 cup light sour cream
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1-1/2 teaspoons Tony Chachere's seasoning
1 cup shredded cheddar
4-5 slices bacon, cooked very crisp and crumbled
1-2 green onions, sliced
1. Coarsely chop cauliflower. Peel and coarsely chop potatoes. Add to steamer and steam until fork tender.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Pour cauliflower and potatoes into large bowl. Mash to desired consistency. Add buttermilk, sour cream, salt, and Tony Chachere's seasoning. Stir to mix well and taste for seasoning. (Depending on the size of your cauliflower and potatoes, you may need to add a bit more seasoning.)
4. When it tastes good, pour cauliflower mixture into butter-sprayed 9x13" pan and bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
5. Remove from oven and garnish with bacon and green onions. Serve nice and hot.